Saturday 26 November 2011

Michael Kiwanuka, We were evergreen, Nick Mulvey @ The Hope.

This was a nice surprise. I had a text from my mate last week asking if i wanted to go and see Michael Kiwanuka. D.E.F.O! was my response. 
See, you take your eye off the ball for a moment and you risk missing what promises to be one of the gigs of the year.
I haven't been keeping up with what's on for a few weeks and if i'd have missed this . . . . well, i would have missed this. Tickets have gone.
Thanks Ollie and your hawkeye!
I first heard of Michael Kiwanuka back in the spring, when his sublime debut track 'tell me a tale' first broke.It sounded like an old track, booming soulful vocal, jazz style drum shuffles and afro horn stabs.
I was really pleased to find that he is a talent at a tender age of just 23. He has already been drawing comparisons with the likes Van Morrison and Bill Withers. High praise indeed and just. His first 2 releases have come via Communion records on ltd edition 10" vinyl. Tell me a tale is fetching a tidy £70 on Discogs.

There is stellar support from We were evergreen  - who i have to confess to having never heard of - and the excellent Nick Mulvey from the Portico Quartet. 
Gonna be a real good , feel good winter warmer!

No comments:

Post a Comment